Wednesday, October 29, 2008

F the Flu Shot

I am not sure at what point in my life I decided I seriously hated/despised/dreaded shots... It may be one of these things or a combo:
  • A long time ago, I was on the depo shot. I went every 90 days and it never bothered me. One time I realized I was sick of it, so I stopped going (see Bullet #2). Maybe the extreme burning of the injection tainted all future shot experiences for me?

  • Psychologists say children learn fears from their parents. Maybe I have the opposite issue and learned the fear of shots from my little one? Her hatred for needles runs deep (no pun intended...and just kidding about the correlation between Bullet #1 and Bullet #2).

  • I had a melanoma issue when I was 25 years old (scary!) that caused me to be pricked and prodded by about 10,000 needles in a matter of three months. I thought at the time I was used to it but maybe it totally traumatized me?
In any case, our work offered flu shots yesterday. I was not planning to go but told a group of girls I would go with them at 2:00 pm. Okay, fine, sure. I committed to this plan around 10:00 am. As 1:30 pm approached, I was trying to get out of it. I IM'd a friend to whine about not liking needles. His reply? "No one does. Except heroin addicts." LOL. So true, so true...

This group of flu shotters stopped by my desk at 1:50, just when I was getting ready to think of a good excuse to not go. While in line at Occ Health, I was still wanting to weasel out of it. To my dismay, a manager in my department was in front of us and our director was behind us.

Finally, it was my turn; I was ready to get the damn thing over and done. I was just getting more used to the idea when the scary nurse made me scoot my chair back. Upon doing so, I had to turn my head and caught a glimpse of the monstrous needle!!!!

Needless to say, the humongous needed hurt like hell and I am never getting one again! I have a new take on it: I actually kind of like having the flu. It's sort of like a near death experience but you bounce back relatively quickly with no lasting effects. It's a way to appreciate life and being healthy??? Anyway, this is what I'm telling myself from now on. Feel free to steal my idea or suffer the wrath of Occ Health!


No comments: