Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Ommmm....

QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
Kurt (on Sunday): "Do you need to take a shower after yoga?"
Me: "Are you kidding me? It's Ashtanga."
Kurt: "I don't understand how you guys can get so sweaty from just stretching."
Me: **silence**

Accountants are not creative whatsoever so I decided to blog about my yoganess. :) I'm sorta kinda pretty much obsessed with yoga. I have been wondering why I insist on going four or five times per week when I've never gone to a yoga class before three months ago. It took me awhile but I finally figured it out:

Reason A: I'm kind of O.C.D. but I'm not a huge germaphobe or anything. Normally, my O.C.D. relates to whatever activity I am interested in at the time. Currently, it's yoga. It's sort of my "gig" though (a.k.a. - not running or wearing kleats or spiking volleyballs) so I'm hoping to stick with it.

Reason B: Anyone can tell you I have always been HORRIBLE at sports. I have never cared whatsoever or even tried to get better. Like I would NEVER play co-ed volleyball or softball. Ew!! This does not sound fun to me. Which is strange that I don't aspire to get better because I'm fanatical about the things I AM good at, like saving dogs, (sort of) yoga or grad school, or when I was younger, cheerleading, dancing, flute playing (no, I did not go to band camp), flag twirling, etc. [Side note: Who thinks I was pretty cool in high school? Anyone? Anyone? I have not even mentiond orchestra, French Club, NHS...lol! Maybe a blog for a different day...gotta get a scanner.]



Seriously, though, I realized all of the things I've been good at in my life related to me being extremely competitive with only myself, which is weird. Maybe I'm not a "team player????" Oh well! Ha! I love yoga and it reminds me of dance and gymnastics. In general, it drives me crazy to not be able to do things I think I should be able to do. Yoga irritates me in particular because there are many things I KNOW I could have done when I was younger. Grrrrrr...freaking feathered peacock (see pic) . We used to hang out in this pose during conditioning and "chat" about the boys on the rings. Can I get a "gr-rrrrr?"


Reason C: ANYTHING I like to do, of course, has underlying social aspects. Yoga is fun and it's been cool to see everyone at class. Love all the teachers (Mark's class is hilarious and challenging, Shannon is so sweet and helpful, and Evan & Kelly's classes are just plain awesome). In other words, I like chatting it up with all of the yogis at Indigo & DSY. We have a great time. My friend, Jessica, is going now so it's even more fun!!! Love seeing her and her stellar headstands.




Apparently, yoga has some principles (? help here, anyone?) and one is being content with where you are at during that moment. At least this is what Shannon says during our Wednesday class while he's doing super tortoise (see pic) and lookin' awesome and we're all thinking, "no effing way." Anyway, this "yoga contentment" he speaks of is totally not my style but I'm working at it... as soon as I can do about ten more poses I'll be happy...or fifteen...

Namaste, y'all!

P.S. Here's some of the "stretching" :) we do in Sunday's class (thanks to Google images). For those thinking it doesn't look so bad, sit on the floor and try 'em. Then let us know how that worked out for ya. I will admit the girl in pic #2 looks overjoyed to be in rooster pose. I've decided she must be on some serious druggage (crack AND heroin) as I've not seen anyone smiling about it on Sundays...but maybe her instructor counts faster than Kelly! :)








1 comment:

K said...

She must be smiling because it's not uthpluthi- not yet ;)