Thursday, June 4, 2009

Happily Ever After?

Literally my dream job is working in the wedding biznazz. I just think brides are fun and weddings are awesome. My friends and I have always talked about how fun it would be to work at (and/or own) a wedding dress store. I can't imagine we are the only group of friends that discuss this every time one of us is planning a wedding. SO WHY IS IT THAT ALL WEDDING DRESS STORE ATTENDANTS ARE SUCH BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY, BITCHES! I MEAN, WTF.

I have been to so many different dress stores with so many different friends over so many years and seriously 99.9% of the time, the dress store chicks are sarcastic and bitchy. I have gone dressed down, dressed up, with my rugrat, without my rugrat, with moms, without moms, etc etc etc. Basically all ends of the spectrum have been covered. Always bitches. It is so weird!! And we are always the ones who are NICE TO THEM...they should be NICE TO US! Granted, they are used to dealing with crazy brides but if it really pains you that much to help one of my overly polite and super adorable friends, then get a new job. Seriously.

So obviously, I had an "experience" today. My future sis-in-law and I went into David's Bridal because she saw a dress online that she loved. So we rolled in so she could try it on. Granted, I wasn't looking my hottest but I still had on a cute work outfit, so not totally slumdog millionaire (I have not seen the movie, so not sure what that expression really even means). Bride was dressed cute. My princess had on a cute gap outfit. I think you know the attitude we received. And the place was DEAD! No one there. While the bride filled out her card, the two attendants were totally bitching right in front of us about this "STUPID" client that called requesting a total on a dress she had selected so she could drop off a check. They were being all attitudeish about it. I'm not sure why bc it seems like common practice someone might want to know a total when they are about to drop a grand, particularly if someone else is providing the check (i.e. Daddy). It just seemed rude they would talk this way about another client when WE (new clients) JUST got there.

Bride began to try on a few dresses. Chica was getting impatient being like, "What DON'T you like about that one?" She was working toward helping her out (i.e. motives were good), but just being in general bitchy about her interrogation. Finally, I started getting pissy and just said, "Do you like your job?" while the bride was in the dressing room getting ready for dress #3 (so it's not like we had been there for four hours). She was like, "Yes, I do but I'm just tired." What am I - a Diet Mt. Dew? I don't effing care. I have NO CAFFEINE TO GIVE, honey. So I immediately said, "Yes, I can definitely see how it would be a really fun job." WEIRD. This girl became instantly sweet! I wasn't even rude but maybe me asking her that made her feel like she was being rude? Whatever the case, she became helpful and nice around this 30 minute point. She ended up being great (sans the first 30 minutes), sis-in-law to be found an amazingly awesome gorgeous dress, so it was worth it.

I just think these employees should be NICER, considering dress shopping is supposed to be the most fun part of the planning and it can really kill a bride's mood to be treated like an intruder. This has not just happened at David's, it's everywhere (except DeWitt of course but I know and love those ladies). Celebration is by far the worst for bitchyness, which kind of sucks because I absolutely love their dresses. I have had a few terrible Hope's experiences. The bridal store attitude at Southpark is wretched. I will say I've had decent experiences at The Bridal Room in Bettendorf but don't like their dresses as much as I like the staff. Love DeWitt but again, I know those chicas :) and they have the best dresses.

Anyway, maybe a bridal worker will read this and have some insight. Yes, I know you work with 'zillas and crazy bride mom's. But isn't that part of the job? Break out the rag on those girls and be nice to the new ones coming in, at least!!!

I'm done ranting :) Thx for listening :) :) I still love dress shopping, regardless of dealing with these b's. I think I'm just going to start all bridal dress appointments with the "Do you like your job?" question and go from there. Sista is pregnant + suffering from Diet Mt. Dew withdrawl = No PATIENCE. Watch out! Ha!!

Love y'all!!
Ann

1 comment:

Trish said...

I hear you. They all are! I swear anyone who works in that industry is horrendous! I tried to avoid everything I could... love the Irish. :) I can also appreciate your Diet Mt. Dew withdrawal -- poor girl. :(