Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Random Blogging!

Well, I have nothing awesome to say (lol) as when I'm not working, carting Miss Drama around, taking care of the zillion animals at my rescue center (aka there is no center, it's my house that is a magnet for adorable but homeless pets), EATING, eating or Eating, THEN I'm sleeping. Such a cool life! Ha! Being pregnant is pretty fun except for being so tired. I blogged about this on the farmbaby site so I'll stop here on that...

Eating rocks it though. I have been dragging out some old school eating establishments in an effort to eat out as much as humanly possible. Tonight we hit Ganzo's!! YUM, I love that place. Vegetable enchiladas are soooooooooo awesome. Other thoughts for the evening were Riefe's and Harlan's. I am reverting back to my West Side or Die mentality. Yay!! I like to keep it real every now again (aka every day).

::cues Flapper music::

"I remember....when 53rd was a gravel road..." God I miss my Grandpa. He never said that sentence but he said lots of things like that... I really am saying, "I remember...when 53rd was a gravel road..." I totally do! I remember I was in high school and driving so it wasn't THAT long ago (shut it, Steward). No, seriously, there was no 53rd & Utica or 53rd & Elmore (as we know them, anyway)! About a 1/2 mile past Brady, it turned to GRAVEL. I remember when they put up the WalMart on Elmore - the FIRST one, by Millertime. Huge deal. Now I just cannot imagine our lives without this area of Dav/Bett. NOOOO Best Buy! It was all Radio Shack and that one store by Venture (now Kmart) on Brady & Kimberly for electronics. It was called *Something* Den (not Lion's ya sickos). I'll have to ask my dad the name.

I remember when there were huge fountains IN Northpark Mall (seriously, IN THE MALL), EVERYONE called Von Maur Petersen's and there was a humongous orange-carpeted stage in front of Younkers. The train at Hardee's (now L.A. Nails) in the mall by Ward's (now Dillard's).

I remember when the mini-golf course at Northwest Blvd (toward Farm & Fleet) was the shizit.

Seriously, Alladin's Castle.

When Rocket Slide Park wasn't scary as all hell.

Hollywood Video.

Geefman's and People's. (Geefman's MIGHT be spelled wrong - I couldn't spell then).

The OLD Ganzo's at 5 Points.

Ponderosa (ew) used to be our "steakhouse" LOL!

Not lying....I remember when Kimberly and Pine was a cornfield. It was seriously like that when we moved into the Linwood casa circa 1986!

Speaking of that area, Kimberly Pines Skating Rink, people!!

Mercy vs. St. Lukes.

NOOOO Carriage Haus. Stickman's, Halftime, The Gallery and The District were the ONLY cool places to be.

The pet store at the mall and also Scott Co. Seed at the Village Shopping Center. OMG Phar-Mor.

What else am I forgetting? OMG!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Hey sista, as a fellow west ender and a 51st/Pine street res I can remember all that too. DO you remember that there was a drive inn movie at the fairgrounds. I watched ET there if that says how long ago it was. Everytime I go back to the QC its like it freakin expanded 20miles. Pretty soon Eldridge and Dport will be touching.

Emilene said...

Geez, for a Falcoln, a lot of your retail memories seem to take place on North territory...oh, maybe that's because the West side sucks.

Go Wildcats! Class of 97!

(But at least we can both agree that we're better than Assumption)

Trish said...

OMG!!! You totally are cracking me up! My friend used to work at stupid Phar Mor! Scott Co. Seed made me cry. I completely forgot about Aladdin's Castle - but I loved that stupid train in Hardees! I remember that drive in too. Man... I'm trying to think of anything else - but my old mind fails me. Rock on sista for making me crack up this afternoon! Oh yea... and cracks me up that I used to be "annoyed" by driving alllll the way up to the HyVee on Kimberly from the west end. I wish going somewhere took me 10 minutes these days!

bree said...

Wow Ann! So many memories. I have two more mall memories:
1. there was a movie theater IN THE MALL. I saw Labyrinth there...amazing.
2. CHESS KING. 'nuf said.