Friday, June 12, 2009

A Year on Ladybug Farm

Do NOT worry, I'm not going to go all educational and refined on you just because I've got a bun in the oven. This little ditty/excerpt was TOO GOOD to pass up, though.

The books starts out, like most do, introducing and describing the main characters. In this case, the characters are three women, around the age women are when their kids are in college. I actually LAUGHED OUT LOUD (for a long time) at the description of two of the chicas, Lindsay and Cici and how "well off" they are now:

"Viewed from a distance, they could have been sorority sisters in their designer jeans and WALKING SHORTS, slim tanned arms swinging gracefully at their sides, casually coiffed hair glinting in the sunlight. (Skip a couple sentences). Lindsay wore her auburn PONYTAIL PULLED THROUGH A BAND OF A BASEBALL CAP, and a close-fitting T-shirt that BARELY SKIMMED THE TOP OF HER JEANS. There was a time when, as a college student, she couldn't have afforded the SPECIAL-EDITION VERA BRADLEY SUNSHINE AND SHADOW QUILTED BACKPACK BAG SHE CARRIED BY ONE STRAP ACROSS HER SHOULDER, BUT NO MORE. Cici was blue-eyed and covered in freckles. She had the legs of a dancer, which looked twice as long and twice as lean IN HER CKs (!!!!),"

OMG, some of you will find the capital letters absolutely hilarious. For those that do, this blog is for you! In an effort to find some rational for this insaneness, I checked the copyright date. First edition March 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF was she thinking! I mean seriously. For the handbag, at least use an old stand-by that EVERYONE knows costs more than $50 at Hallmark (i.e. Gucci or Chanel or Louis V.). As for the CK jeans, God. They surely haven't made them for 10-15 years. Go with TR or William Rast, seriously. And...I have no clue what to say about the walking shorts.

In all seriousness, although fashionably challenged while trying to point out "great" fashion, this was a cute book. Who wants to borrow?? It's about these three chicas who are BFF's that fall in love with a humongous old estate farmhouse in the South and decide to uproot their lives from the Northeast to rehab it because they love it so much. It was really cute and I could relate to a lot of the things they went through (not the wearing of CKs) just because I hang out at Kurt's farm being clueless about what to do most of the time. There was definitely more of a plot than my normal Shopaholic books but it's NOT Pride and Prejudice or anything.

For those of you that care, I spent my entire life until I had Belle reading like a maniac. I was always reading growing up and took great pride in my complete Nancy Drew collection! Later, I moved on to VC Andrews (creepy) - not sure why my mom let me read stories about incest and creepy family secrets involving children locked in an attic when I was 13 - gross! I moved on to other insightful authors such as Mary Higgins Clark and Stephen King in high school and college. I'm sure there were other authors but I mainly liked to rock these, as a rule. Again, I was def not reading Jean-Paul Sartre or Shakespeare but at least I was reading!

Now I don't have a favorite author, but I pick up books from the recommended/best seller tables from Barnes & Noble or Borders whenever I'm in the mood or going on a trip. I don't read as much anymore because I've always been semi-obsessive about whatever I'm reading...as in that's all I want to do. ha. So for two days, I'll read the book every free second.

I'll probaly post some more book reviews occasionally. I have a couple good ones I've read on the vacations we've been on over the past year. And now that I'm pregnant, I'll be reading while everyone's out partying! :)

Love,
Moi

P.S. I'm serious - who wants this book? It needs to leave my desk area.

2 comments:

Laura@SometimesCrafty said...

Now that the end of my school days are coming near (until I decide to go back again - stranger things have happened!) I am really looking forward to reading more for fun.

Growing up there weren't a lot of kids in my neighborhood so I spent most of my free time also reading The BabySitters Club, Nancy Drew, VC Andrews (yeah, creepy!) and Friday the 13th books. LOL. No sensorship on my books!

Now my favorites are Janet Evanovich - the Stephanie Plum series are laugh out loud funny! I also like James Patterson mysteries, especially the Alex Cross series and I'm obsessed with the Twilight books like a twelve year old girl. I just got To Kill a Mockingbird from the library since so many people have said they loved it and I don't even know what it's about yet.

Happy Reading! =)

Maggie said...

Southern women love Vera Bradley. This is a book about southern women. The fact that her handbag doesn't cost $200 is a non-issue.