Monday, March 30, 2009

R.I.P. Dr. Martens Collection!!!

DISCLAIMER: I graduated in '96. Whenever I say that, it reminds me of our (alleged) class "saying," which was as follows: "Party hardy, rock n' roll, drink a keg, smoke a bowl, beer is legal, sex is kicks, we're the class of '96." WTH. This disturbs me on all levels considering my friend's older sister taught us this saying when we were in sixth grade...and she was in ninth (class of 1993). I now wonder if she just made it up and we were like, "OK, cool!" We had no idea what a keg was (we didn't learn what that was until 7th grade, duh) or what a bowl was but trust me, we wrote it in yearbooks for years to come. [As a parent, I will be reading the yearbooks. Belle gets away with NOTHING!] Also, hello we listened to rap anyway. Snoop Dogg, Too $hort, Friday soundtrack (You ain't nothin' but a Hoochie Mama), "C'mon baby, KICK THEM DAZZY'S", etc. Not much rock n' roll but we did also listen to a TON of country. Only Iowa kids switch from Sir Mix A Lot's "My Posse's on Broadway" to Alan Jackson's "Chattahoochie" like it's totally normal.

Anyway, back to the mid-1990's trip fashion memory lane. Wow, what a fashionistic era. *Raises eyebrow*

Omigosh so my yoga queen friend, Jen, got me thinking of my BELOVED Doc collection of late... R.I.P. *heavy sigh followed by wistful, heart-wrenching gaze to Heaven*

Jen mentioned in a Facebook survey she had oxblood Doc's. I wrote back and told her, I too, owned those precious gems!! She also had the silvers and square toes. I had the square toes but not the silvers...I loved the silvers though!! I later remembered my friend, Kasi, and I traded the oxbloods for her black & white wingtips...we each liked the other better so the trade became permanent.

I had one or two pairs of the original brown low tops in junior high. But my real obsession began circa 1992 (9th grade). For every Xmas and b-day throughout high school I asked my mom for a new pair of Doc's and some Lucky jeans. This worked out great for my mom, who then didn't have to make too much effort figuring out what to buy her high-school aged daughter (she HATES shopping, I swear we aren't really related). Here were the "highlights" of my "super cool" Doc collection (sandals not included)...

The "Originals" speak for themselves *salutes*












The Oxbloods (This is the color but I had the low-rise ones. Old school style)














The Wing Tips in Black & White (Possibly Kasi's, I think we traded, as mentioned above, and it became permanent)













The Brown Low Super-Chunkies (I LOVED them but they weighed like 10 lbs)








The Brown Ankle Super-Chunkies (Doubled LOVED them. I rocked them with my Lucky jeans all the time. And totally over-sized tucked in polos with tucked under and over braided belt) *shudder*










The Black Square Toe Boots = love *tear*








FLOWER POWER!!!! So, one day a few years ago I was thinking how e-bay truly has everything anyone could ever want or need. All of a sudden a painful memory blasted into my head. Circa 1995 Christmas. I was DYING for these flowered Doc Martens (this was PRE- everyone has the internet and can find virtually -no pun intended- anything they want). Von Maur tried and tried with no avail to order the flowered Docs for me. Considering this was the height of Doc prime, special orders took over six months and no guaranteed shipping date. Oy! The sorrow!!! The agony!!

So back to three years ago thinking about e-bay. I typed in: flowered doc martens, size 3. EUREKA!!! There was nothing, no one, no how going to stand between me and these boots I would never wear!!!!!! They were located in the U.K. but I didn't care. To my dismay, there were other bidders. Ayyy! I ended up securing them for like $60 Euro. Rock on!!!!!!! They are the only Docs I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to part with. Donating is non-negotiable! To appease Jessica and Allison who were profusely made fun of me during this bidding drama (B's), I wore them to work the day after they arrived (yes, in the EOB). Maybe I will bust them out again... ??? Seriously.


Note the striking resemblance to the F&F Boutique purchase from this weekend. Hmmm...I think I still have issues with not being able to secure purchases of flowered boots?

If you still wear Doc's, especially if you are a girl, I don't hate, I congratulate. Guys have an easier time rockin' the doc's so actually guys don't count. BUT it takes a strong woman to keep it real and roll the air wair...especially the vintage looks (e.g. Oxblood). I wish I still had my entire collection. I'd "wair" a pair a day for a week (or two) just to do it. Amen!! Unfortunately, I only have the flower power boots of awesomeness. Kurt JUST took my black square toes to the Goodwill like LAST WEEK (I had been hanging on for sentimental purposes, ok...whatever....). Oh yes, I plan to break out these babies as an ode to the aforementioned collector editions. R.I.P.

Mucho love, Doc lovers!
Ann

P.S. OMG....ha. http://cgi.ebay.com/Doc-Dr-Martens-Floral-Flower-Boots-Shoes-UK-8-USA-10_W0QQitemZ250396604259QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Women_s_Shoes?hash=item250396604259&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

5 comments:

CourtneeCee said...

Awesome! I'm planning on wearing a flannel shirt tomorrow to celebrate bad 90's fashion. I was thinking I still had one pair of Doc's lurking around in the closet that would be a lovely accessory to my fancy flannel, but I'm guessing they're sitting on a crowded Goodwill shelf somewhere. RIP, indeed.

Jen said...

I wanna see you wear the flower power boots! They'd look great with yoga pants!

And how lucky are you - getting mom to buy all those snazzy docs for you? I had to forfeit my dignity by working at Shopko (horrors!!) to buy mine. That makes me feel gross just thinking about it.

For the life of me I cannot remember what became of my beloved docs. Did I pawn them? Give 'em away? I hope they're in Doc Heaven now, listening to some Morrissey.

Emilene said...

I'm sorry, did I read this right? Size 3? See, that's why you were into the docs! Only girls with small feet could get away with them. I never wore them because they looked like Frankenstein shoes on my size 10 1/2 feet (and I say size 10 1/2 only because it sounds better than size 11)

Ann said...

Dang! CC, the Docs would have been the perfect addition to that pic. lol. I absolutely love this week.

Jen - oh yes, I may bust these babies out on Sunday for 11:00 class. Why the heck not! And looking back, I think it would have been nice if my mom would have tried to find me something for my bday or Xmas instead of giving me her von maur charge. I may have bought a pair or two with my Sunglass Hut cash. That job ruled. lol.

Em, lol. You are tall so you can get away with a 10.5. :) My size 3 was U.K. size. I really wear like a 5.5 but for some reason we always "talked Doc" in U.K. sizes.

Oh what the hell, maybe I'll wear them to class tonight and ask my Master of Accounting kids what they think. Courtnee, I am seriously going to have to ask you how to do those polls b/c that is the funniest thing EVER!

Check it y'all and add to your blog list:
http://fifty2resolutions.com

Ann said...

Make that http://fifty2resolutions.wordpress.com