Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wow (not in a good way)

I've always been completely, psychotically obsessesd with (and emotionally dependant on) music. I'm a HUGE fan of music, in large part thanks to my awesome dad who had a humongous record collection in the 80's. And a ton of 8-tracks. Then tapes, then cds, etc.

Fortunately for all involved, since the invention of the iPod, my friends/family are no longer required to share shotgun with my 50 lb. cd case which included everything from Sir Mix A Lot to Alan Jackson to ACDC to Biggie to 38 Special. I'm a big fan of COUNTRY for sure (new and old), classic rock, old school rap, Britney, etc etc etc.

Now, don't go thinking I'm all unique and stuff. I remember watching a Howard Stern show once (loved it) where they were talking about music. Howard only listens to "hits" where the others on the show would buy a cd and listen to the entire thing. Howard said that was stupid and "TELL ME WHAT I'M GOING TO LIKE AND I'LL LIKE IT." I rock it like Howard. There are some exceptions to this rule that no one cares about so I won't go into it. But in general, when I say I'm a huge fan of "X, Y or Z" that means I've listened to their popular songs 500 million times but I'm not a "real fan" (aka crazy) as in know where they were born and what the title to track 2 on their third album is (unless it's greatest hits. lol.)

We have like 35 gigs of music in iTunes. You would never know this by my pathetic playlist for working out. I have lived with this playlist for sooooo long because hellllllo, I hate exercising! I don't do it too often...until now! And I need a playlist for working out because being such a country fan, the general "shuffle" during a run would be at least 70% country (no bueno for getting the sexyback). During one of my "garage runner" treadmill phases, I skimmed the library and created a workout playlist by throwing in any fast-paced songs I could think of and/or songs I happened to see and loved.

Emilene suggested to not HATE running but to think of it as a time I get to listen to music uninterrupted. I agree! There are two things I've always wanted to be: a singer and a runner. I'm a horrible singer and in fact, ditched my music major in college because I didn't want to take "Sight Singing." The running thing isn't happening either because a) not good at it and b) hate it!

That being said, over the last couple days, I decided Emilene is right but my playlist needs a HUGE overhaul since I skip through most of the songs while working out or running anyway! But I thought it would pretty cool/funny (Bueller??) to post my playlist and make fun of it. Please send any suggestions for new songs my way (I probably already have it in iTunes or I'll buy it). Anything with a * in front of it means I actually listen to it (aka don't hit "next") when working out and will keep it around:

*All Right Now - Free. I think it's about a prost. but I don't care!

*Ballroom Blitz - Misfits. =Love since Dave Navarro and Carmen Electra's wedding show. He got up and sang it with the band. It rocks it.

*Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson. Love me some MM. This is probably surprising to most people but hello he loves makeup too. I don't listen to very much "new rock" so MM is an exception to the rule. Not that he's "new" like Gym Class Heroes or any of those stupid bands but I mean "newer" than CCR (see below).

*Born on the Bayou - CCR. One of my favorite bands of all time. Can't live without them. Ever.

*Butterfly - Crazy Town. "Sealed with a kiss...and a thank you, miss." Don't hate.

*Closer - Nine Inch Nails. lol.

Cream - Prince. Adore Prince but working out to him sux in most cases. Apparently, there are a lot of cases of this on my playlist...

*C^m On Feel The Noize - Quiet Riot. C^m on. You know you love it, too! One of my fave songs of all time. Seriously.

Dancing With Myself - Billy Idol. Ha! I have no idea. The only Billy Idol song I like is White Wedding and that's not on here! Dying!

Dirty - Xtina. I'm over it.

Don't Cha - P.Cat Dolls. It's cute. But I'm over it.

*The Dope Show - Marilyn Manson. Love.

Dude (Looks Like A Lady) - Aerosmith. Hmmm...yeah this needs to go.

Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic - The Police. Same as above.

*Gett Off - Prince. I work out to this one. This was also a jazz dance Kate and I did in eighth grade. Listen to the words...can't believe our teachers picked that song. I blame our promiscuousness on them because of this song. Oh and also, this was a highly-requested song by my friends and I during our Stickman's days. You know who you are!

Give Me Three Steps - L.Skynyrd. Love this song but omg who works out to this? No one, that's who.

*Glycerine - Bush. I never work out to it but ran to it the other night. It wasn't too bad. I'll leave it on.

Goodbye To You - Scandal. It's pretty cute. I could probs work out to it. But I don't. I think this is a good thing.

*Got Me Under Pressure - ZZ Top. Can I give this one 2 stars? I love this song and ZZ.

I Love Rock & Roll - Joan Jett. Again, love it, over it, the end!

*It's Like That - Run D.M.C. Work out to it. You'll like it. Run DMC Jam Master J Run!

Jack and Diane - J.Mellancamp. Love J.Mellancamp beyond words. This song reminds me of my mom and dad (Rick & Diane). I remember my parents listening to it when I was a kid and they were still married :) I think I'll keep it on.

*Jane Fonda - Mickey Avalon. Ohhhhh yeah. It's stayin'!!!!!

Let's Get Rocked - Def Leppard. Hmmm...it's gotta gooooo!!

*Let's Go - The Cars. I LIKE THE NIGHTLIFE BABY!!!!!!!!!!! She saiiiiiidddd...

Little Red Corvette - Prince. =Gone

*Magic Stik - Lil' Kim. WTF. lol. You know if I'll admit this one is on there and that I still listen to it, I'll admit anything.

Mr. Jones - Counting Crows. Love it but it gotsta go.

*My Best Friends Girl - The Cars. I seriously don't listen to The Cars that often. But maybe I should. lol. *clapclap*

Nothin' But a Good Time - Poison. Love it (esp. when drunk). Never work out to it. Bye Bye, Brett *heartbreak*

Paradise City - GNR. Good cut. But bye bye.

*Pearl Necklace - ZZ Top. Hahaha! I love this song! They came to the fair a few years ago. This song was already on this already-created playlist. Unfortunately, I didn't know what it meant! My friend Craig had to tell me during the concert!! If you know Craig and I, I bet you're laughing your @$$ off right now. Funniest conversation ever.

*Personal Jesus - Marilyn Manson. I'm beginning to think I have a MM problem. I only listen to him when working out, I swear. *surrrre*

*Pretty Vegas - INXS. From Rockstar INXS, hello!

Purple Rain - Prince. OMFG. How do I love thee but COME ONNNNNN.

P. Control - Prince. See above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I told you I was a Prince fan but this is getting OUT of control lame.

The Race Is On - Sawyer Brown. I tried to incorporate country. It didn't work. Never listen to it when working out.

Raspberry Beret - Prince. OMG!!!!!!!!

*Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes. *drums*

Sexy M.F. - Prince. I seriously cannot take any more.

*SexyBack - J.T. Loved it (him) then. Love it (him) now. Go head be gone with it.

*She F'in Hates Me - Puddle of Mudd. Reminds me of a "very special someone." It's staying. ha!

Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm. On the fence about this one. I usually skip it.

Someday I'll Be Saturday Night - Bon Jovi. Seriously??? Of all the Bon Jovi songs, I picked this one? I may replace it with a little BAD MED-I-CINE.

Suga Suga - Baby Beesch. Needs. to. go.

*Suicide Blonde - INXS. It's stayin'!

Sumpin' New - Coolio. OMFG! I'm dying! 1, 2, 3, 4... It does give me fond memories of Mexico however that's where the coolness ends.

*Sweet Child O' Mine - GNR. =True Love.

*Sweet Dreams - Marilyn Manson. OK, this is getting weird.

Talk Dirty To Me - Poison. *deletes from playlist*

Wanna Be a Baller - Lil Troy. I'm dying.

What's the Frequency, Kenneth - REM. Good song, bad workout song.

*Will You Be My Girl - Jet. It can stay.

*Yeah - Usher. Haha. Still one of my fave songs ever. Yes, I'm 19.

1999 - Prince. I am not going to say ANYTHING!

7 - Prince. *silence*

*Bad Romance - Lady Gaga. Recently added. Totally love.

Who wants to hire me to make playlists for them? I'm so good at it! Not!!

I'll be working on a revamp...

Love,
Ann:)

2 comments:

Emilene said...

Oh my gosh, Ann, you crack me up. We have a lot in common. I totally only became a Spinning instructor so I could put together playlists.

As far as recommendations, I can see that you are desperately in need of a little MJ in your life. Anything you can dance to, you can run to. MJ+cardio=happy Emilene.

Z said...

So is this a running play list, a lifting play list, or ??? Mind you, I haven't been lifting in over a year. 2009 was an experiment with just the yoga practice for the core and upper body work. Anyway... I tending more to hard stuff, RapCore, Metal, etc. for the lifting. Your basic agro-mix. If you want specific recommendation there, I can think so up for you.

What I'd us on the spin bikes or elliptical was probably the same sort of things one would use for a running mix.