Sunday, December 7, 2008

Kelly Sr. Is Right / Somethin' for the Yogis

Way back when I was just a meager intro student *sigh* trying to learn the sun salutations (ya know, a couple months ago - ha!!!), I read one of Kelly's blogs that referenced "limping and bitching" on Mondays after Ashtanga Sundays. "Eh!" I would say, it can't be that bad... lol.

WELCOME to Vinyasa III on Saturday followed by Sunday class (ahem, JESSICA! BG?). I'll admit it's getting a little easier from when I first started Sundays and hung on the verge of death before, during and after the boat poses. Anyway, I'm ALREADY "limping and bitching" and it's only Sunday night so that can't be good.

After class, we had an Ashtanga info session that was pretty awesome with snacks and these yummy sugar plums. Sugar plums = love. It was cool to hear Evan & Kelly talk about their three-month trip to Mysore, India. My four highlights of today's meeting:

Learning Highlight Uno:
Not very many natives of India practice yoga. WHAT!?!?

Learning Highlight Dos:
In Mysore, all the chicas sit outside the shala and say "OMG!! I totally got to Pasasana today!! I was soooo not expecting it!!" and their friends go, "Omg! OMg! OMG!!!!!" Seriously - is this sooooo my gig or what!?!?!! OMG!! lol. Too bad I could never take off work :( and the India trip is where my lovely husband would probably draw the line! Damn.

Learning Highlight Tres:
The reason the primary series does the same poses over and over every practice is to take the thinking out of it and really concentrate on the practice. I never really thought about why we did it before, I was just too busy trying not to collapse. Makes total sense and truly the more I do it, the less I think about it and just do it. Nike.

Learning Highlight Quattro:
I remember being traumatized in 1st grade when my mom and I saw my teacher at the grocery store. I just assumed she lived at school!!! Apparently, at age 30, I have not gotten over this?? I just assumed E&K are so good at yoga b/c they have the fabulous life of practicing yoga at their leisure, teaching a bunch of classes in the QC, hanging out in Mysore, and now opening their own shala. They seem so happy all the time!!!! It never occured to me that Kelly is a teacher and Evan is a web designer! Apparently, they are so good at yoga b/c they practice almost every day from 4-6 A.M.!?!? Then work, THEN teach all of these classes. Namaste to E&K if they happen to be reading. Seriously. God, I AM SOOO LAZY!! 4 a.m.??? Ugh!


In honour of my "OMG I'm in Mysore!!" trip that will never happen (sadness-lol...I really want a bunch of those cute scarves), I am going to get up one day this week and do the primary series at 4 a.m. With the help of Yoga Sacremento's website of course (thank you google.com). I will let YOU ALL know how (and IF) it goes! Kelly said hating it and making yourself do it is part of the practice. I can promise you I'll be hating it and I can promise you it won't be tomorrow. At this rate, I'll just be happy to get down the stairs tomorrow! :)


Quote of the Day: "You're not the trainwreck you once were." - Mark to Pat. Thanks for sharing that one, Pat. Classic Mark!! It reminds me of my first class with Mark in September. First he goes, "Have you been to my class before?" I go, "No." So he grabbed my mat and took it to the back. Later, he leaned down and goes, "Seriously. You need to work on your chatarangas." I go, "Why? What am I doing?" He goes, "I don't know. But it's not good." Ha!!! Love him and my chatarangas have since improved (I think/hope...)!

Lotsa love to y'all.
A.

2 comments:

Z said...

Well... I kind of think of my riding in somewhat the same way. Not the time of this comment (0403). Just about to start breakfast and then it's out the door. Different but the same.

K said...

How did you not INVENT blogging, A.? A more natural there never was.

Thanks for the shout-out...and the leftover dip. There probably are some people somewhere who are lucky enough to practice at their leisure...but who wants that? BOR-ring - and where's the challenge? (other than the 70-some-odd Chaturangas) There is an admittedly fine line between tapas (not the Spanish food - Sanskrit, look it up) and masochism, and one of these days we're going to find it. Until then...let's all jump BACK!